Rockefeller’s historic Welch Hall, a white Beaux-Arts structure built in 1929 and flanked by the trees of its North and South Gardens, was named after William Henry Welch, an American physician and medical school administrator, first dean of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and founding president of the Board of Scientific Directors at the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research.
Welch gave many years of service to the Rockefeller Foundation. He was instrumental in planning and developing the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research and served on various committees and boards concerned with matters of international public health.
Photo by Lubosh Stepanek
The Markus Library
Markus Library, exhibit, Welch Hall, William H. Welch