image preview

Creation Date



The increasing use of physical methods in biological investigations during the first half of the twenties century gave rise very early in the history of The Rockefeller Institute to the need for an instrument maker’s shop. It was created in 1920 and since that time, the Instrument Shop has undergone major changes twice. The first expansion occurred in 1935 when Dr. Gasser became Director of the Institute and he and Dr. Lorente undertook their studies in neurophysiology. In 1953, when President Bronk came to the Institute, broadening all of its research programs and creating new laboratories in biophysics, the Instrument Shop was greatly enlarged and installed in spacious new quarters.


instrument shop


Image Location