Hospital addition construction, 1950
Courtesy of The Rockefeller Archive Center
In 1951, a new wing was added to the hospital and the original building was fully modernized. The rebuilt hospital at that time was home to five research groups investigating respiratory diseases, rheumatic fever, cardiovascular disease, endocrine disorders, and acute and chronic diseases of the liver. But the physicians did not limit their attack to particular illnesses; instead the contemplation of disease as general biological problem led them to look ever more deeply into organic structure and function, and to build a body of knowledge upon which the scientific medicine of the future can be firmly based.
Rockefeller Institute, hospital