A Garland for President Bronk, 1968
With the inscription To Detlev W. Bronk, scientist, statesman, educator, successor to Simon Flexner and Herbert S. Gasser and first President of The Rockefeller University from administrative staff with devoted friendship and warm admiration.
In 1953, with the election of Dr. Detlev Bronk (1897-1975) to the newly created office of the President, an extensive reorganization of the Rockefeller Institute took place. The Rockefeller charter was amended by the University of the State of New York and given authority to grant doctoral degrees; in 1965, the name was changed officially to The Rockefeller University. Under Dr. Bronk’s guidance, the Rockefeller established a graduate student body and expanded research and teaching activities from the life sciences to physics, mathematics, philosophy, and psychology. Nine new buildings have been erected and additional land has been acquired for future expansion. In place of an individual, and oftentimes isolated, laboratories headed by senior scientists, Detlev Bronk created a campus complete with students, dormitories, and even a faculty club.
exhibit, library, Detlev Bronk