Oswald Avery in his laboratory, 1948.
The photograph is inscribed to his associate, Dr. Sprofkin.
Courtesy of the Rockefeller Archive Center
Oswald T. Avery received the BA from Colgate University (1900) and the MD from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City (1904). From 1907 to 1913 Avery did research at the Hoagland Laboratory in Brooklyn, a privately endowed research institute for bacteriology. Avery moved in 1913 to the Rockefeller Institute, where he remained for the rest of his career. Among many awards and honorary degrees, Avery was elected to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and received the Lasker Award (1947).
See also DNA: The Transforming Principle and the Birth of Modern Genetics, C-Reactive Protein: From Pneumococcal Pneumonia to Cardiovascular Disease Risk, and The First Effective Vaccine for Pneumococcal Pneumonia
Oswald Avery, RU Hospital