Drawing of Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Hall, ca. 1957
Courtesy of The Rockefeller Archive Center
Designed by Harrison & Abramovitz and completed in 1958, it is composed of two stories plus a basement. Limestone spandrels and aluminum window-curtain walls define the exterior. Inside are the auditorium, meeting rooms, small library, reception area, dining room, and Faculty and Students Club. Dedicated in 1959, the building was funded by a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., as a memorial to his wife. The adjoining Caspary Hall is named for Alfred H. Caspary, an independent stockbroker whose estate provided support for the construction of four buildings on the Rockefeller campus.
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Hall, Wallace Harrison, Rockefeller Institute