Isolation Building construction, 1909
Courtesy of The Rockefeller Archive Center
Designed by the architectural firm York and Sawyer, it was built as a two-story isolation building for the hospital to house patients with infectious diseases. Worried about airborne contagion, the institute’s board of trustees has the building constructed so that air could be vented directly through the roof. Additional floors were added in 1926 as living quarters for the hospital staff.
Rockefeller Institute, hospital